It's that time of year again when we gather our friends, volunteers, sponsors and staff for the San Diego Green Building Council's Winter Social. This year's event will be our seventh so far and we hope you will join us:
Wednesday, December 4, 2013 from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm at the Lafayette Hotel located at 2223 El Cajon Boulevard in North Park.
As in previous years, there will be great food, great drinks and great conversation. You'll have a chance to meet and mingle with the board of directors and awards will be given for some of the awesome people and projects in our community over the past year.
What makes this year's event extra special is the venue itself: The iconic Lafayette Hotel.
About the Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows
Originally constructed in 1946, the 131-room hotel is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and has played host to numerous Hollywood types including Bob Hope and Ava Gardner. The pool was supposedly designed by the actor who played Tarzan, Johnny Weissmuller.
But unlike most historic hotels listed in the National Register, the Lafayette also boasts some amazing green credentials following a recent renovation:
- Extensive energy efficiency upgrades including a 40 kW fuel cell that accounts for 45% of the facility's energy and even helps heat the pool
- Recycling receptacles in all guest rooms and common areas
- Newspapers only available upon requested
- Electronic billing and biodegradable key cards
- Optional linen and towel reuse programs for multiple night guests
- Motion sensors in low traffic areas combined with energy efficient light bulbs
- Energy Star equipment
- Water conservation bulletins
- Organic fertilizers and soil amendments
- Use of organic cleaners
- Energy usage monitoring
To register for the event and for more details, please visit the event's registration page on the SDGBC website:
We look forward to seeing you there.
Please take lots of photos during the event and make sure to post them to the SDGBC's Facebook page and elsewhere.